Print preview Close

Showing 35 results

Archival description
Kleinburg (Ont.)
Print preview View:

Burrlington Site Plan, 1855

  • CA CoV Archives M016.6
  • Fonds
  • 1855

Item consists of the Burrlington Site Plan 132B, showing Lot 31, Concession 9 of present day Kleinburg. The tracing dates back to 1855 and shows the property of Rowland Burr.

City of Vaughan Engineering Services Department Fonds

  • CA CoV Archives RG 17
  • Fonds
  • 1995-2003

Fonds consists of aerial photographs that cover the entire City of Vaughan and include images of streets and highways, rivers, railway lines and stations, hospitals, community centres, subdivisions, conservation areas, public attractions, reservoirs, factories and plants, lumber yards, airfields, fairgrounds, and shopping centres. Also included are "indexes" for each year which make finding a particular photograph or area of Vaughan quite easy. Also included is a Leroy Lettering Set which was used for mechanical lettering on maps and drawings in the Engineering Services Dept until 1995/96 at which time computers took a more prevalent role in the department's business functions. Also included are a polar planimeter which was used to determine metric area, and a case containing fifty-five railroad curves which were used in the design and layout of roads.

Dora and George Snider collection [Textual record]

  • CA CoV Archives M013.41
  • Collection
  • 1912-1998

Collection consists of various historical write-ups on villages (Edgeley, Sherwood, Langstaff, Maple, Coleraine, Purpleville, Elder's Mills, Woodbridge, Vellore, Carrville, Concord, Hope, Kleinburg, Patterson, Pine Grove, Teston), genealogical histories (Stong, Jackson), and issues of The York Pioneer and Canadian-German Folklore.

Facility and Maintenance Services fonds (formerly Buildings and Facilities Department fonds) [Graphic material and other material]

  • CA CoV Archives RG 22
  • Fonds
  • [19-?]-2015, predominant 1995-2015

Fonds consists of various materials received by the Facility Maintenance Service Departments from various City locations and departments. The majority of materials are graphic in nature and include artwork and pictures left behind in the Old Civic Centre and by other departments. Accession (RG 22-012.1) consists of materials that were transferred to the Archives in June of 2012, following the opening of the New City Hall in March of 2011. This accession included 13 items:

  1. Portrait of Sir William Blackstone, 1723-1780
  2. Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms
  3. 8 Fire Escape Routes (showing layout of old civic centre) + 1 fire escape route booklet
  4. Vaughan Coat of Arms (wooden disk) - Deaccessioned November 27th, 2014, to allow for the Coat of Arms to be rehung in the Council Chambers.
  5. Photo of (from left to right) John Zipay - Commissioner of Planning, Frank Miele - Commissioner of Economic & Technology Development & Communications, Janice Atwood-Petkovski - Commissioner of Legal and Administrative Services and City Solicitor, Michael DeAngelo - City Manager, Clayton Harris - Commissioner of Finance and City Treasurer, Marlon Kallideen - Commissioner of Community Services, John Stevens - Commissioner of Engineering and Public Works, Photos of: Barbara Cribbett (Commissioner of Finance, City Treasurer), Paul Jankowski (Commissioner of Engineering and Public Works), Marlon H. Kallideen (Commissioner of Community Services), John Mackenzie (Commissioner of Planning), Joseph Pitari (Commisisoner of Strategic and Corporate Services)
  6. Photo of Woodbridge Memorial Hill Presented by McKenzie Branch 414, R.C.L.
  7. 2 Woven banners with Vaughan coat of arms
  8. 6 frames of the Reeves of Vaughan Township and Village of Woodbridge (2 frames with text, 4 with pictures)
  9. 5 wooden plaques (cut from wall of old civic centre) with names of those who presumably died in WWI and WWII
  10. Bronze plaque of Garnet A. Williams 1915-1982, Councillor, Deputy Reeve, Reeve and Mayor, Erected 1982 (dates of office and bust on plaque)
  11. Bronze plaque of Albert H. Rutherford 1911-1971, Councillor, Deputy Reeve, Reeve, Erected 1972 (dates of office and bust on plaque)
  12. Bronze and aluminum plaque of Daniel Reaman 1832-1885, Councillor, Erected 1972 (dates of office and bust on plaque)
  13. Plaque commemorating the opening of the Civic Centre on Major Mackenzie Drive 1982 with names of Councillors and Mayor and Administrators at time.

The second accession (RG 22-014.1) included 2 paintings that had been hung for many years in the Woodbridge Public Library, that were left for Building and Facilities to dispose. These items included 2 paintings by Susan Gibson of the effects of Hurricane Hazel on the Woodbridge River. These paintings were created in 1957 and given to the Woodbridge Public Library where they were hung until November of 2014.

The third accession (RG 22-016.1) consists of items received by the City of Vaughan in recognition of programming, events and work completed by the City. These materials had been transferred to Facility Maintenance Services by other departments and eventually transferred to the Archives in March of 2016. Included in this accession are:
1) One (1) 2005 Canada Communities in Bloom - International Winner - 5 Blooms
2) One (1) 2005 Canada Communities in Bloom

Hugh and Jackie Cook collection [Textual record and other material]

  • CA CoV Archives MG 44
  • Collection
  • ca. 1875-2022

Collection consists of photos of the Elder's Mills Women's Institute in 2010 at the presentation of a plaque to Black Creek Pioneer Village honouring the fourteen branches of the former York West District of the Women's Institute, a newspaper photo of the Elder's Mills Women's Institute in 1982, a short history of the institute and a newspaper clipping of the institute in 2009. Also a photo from the 1930s of twelve women outside Maple United Church with an identification list included. Also two photos of the structures on Lot 9 Con 4 where Jean Bryson (nee Keffer) was born in 1922. Also Heritage Vaughan minutes from 1989 and by-law of the Recreation Advisory Committee -Maple from 1986.

Accession M011.19 consists of a write-up of Marshall McMurchy, photocopies of the Bryson home, a program from the The Gordon McGillivray Male Choir, and a birthday congratulations certificate to Gladys Maginn. Also, a Kortright booklet with drawings by Thoreau MacDonald, reports on the Cook and Rupert houses in Maple, and writeups on the Abel/Norton dam, St. Andrew's Presbyterian Church and Maple United Church. Also included: copy of newspaper photo of Janet Keffer and and Oliver, Art, and Joe Stong, writeup of last meeting of VTHS at Vellore Hall in 2003, and copy and transcription of deed of land given by Ellis family to School Section # 20 (Mount Lebanon Public School) in 1875. Also before and after photos of the Constable house at 3930 Major Mackenzie Dr. and a photocopy of a photo of the wedding in the 1920s at the house of Wilbur and Pauline Keffer officiated by Rev. Kirkwood. As well, a photocopy of the Kleinburg Public School class in 1940 with individuals identified and a report on the historical buildings in Vaughan by Barbara Plander, 1975. Also the original and typed copy of "Remembering William & Mary Shunk".

M013.33 accession consists of 5 items: “…now show me your belly-button!” with introduction by Pierre Berton (1967 publication), Vaughan Citizen Gold Book Telephone Directory 2012, Canpages City of Vaughan Telephone Directory 2011/2012
Maple Remembered – 2013 by Jackie Cook (6 pages), Interesting Dates Compiled by Jackie & Hugh Cook 2013 (3 pages)
Also included from a 2015 accession is a commemorative china plate from the Teston United Church, commissioned when the Church was putting on an addition ca. 1959. A signature quilt and background about the Ladies Aid that had this commissioned from 1910 is also included in the collection. Photos of the construction and completion of Maple Health Centre are also included in the collection.

Accession M015.17 consists of two (2) photos that were saved as a single PDF file which shows Maple Health Centre while under construction on December 6, 1997, and a completed Centre on July 10, 2001. These photos were obtained following a research request that reached out to the Cooks for more information and photos of the Centre at 10424 Keele Street.

Accession M015.23 consists of fifteen (15) items of historical and municipal significance to Vaughan, collected by Jean Bryson during her time in Vaughan and membership in the Vaughan Township Historical Society. Items include Zone Maps from the 1960s, Financial Statements of the Police Village of Vaughan (1931), Trustee Minutes (1961, 1962), Income Statements, Auditor Report (1961), Maple Community Centre Balance Sheets (1964), image of Maple Public School Graduates (1958), and a photo of Elder's Mills "Dishpan Seranaders".

Accession M015.24 consists of twelve (12) digital image files, consisting of the Maple Community Centre, 2134 Major Mackenzie Drive and Vellore Sports Teams. The images have been printed and retained in the Archives, along with the digital files themselves.

Accession M016.1 consists of information regarding the John Keffer House (located at 2134 Major Mackenzie Drive. Three photos and some background information were included in this donation.

Accession M016.4 consists of information regarding Joseph A. Gibson Public School and includes building photos, class pictures, a report card and news clippings about Joseph A. Gibson and the school itself. All items have been scanned and hard paper copies can be found in the Archives.

Accession M016.12 consists of nine (9) photographs depicting various stages of the Robson barn raising located on the West half of Lot 26, Concession 6, thirty-two (32) photographs of various barns in Vaughan taken from 2006-2010 by Louis Theriault and Frank Shaw, most of which are located in Kleinburg, and three (3) photographs of Hope School located on the West half of Lot 28, Concession 3 taken in 1958. Accompanying biographical information is included.

Accession M016.13 consists of twenty (20) Purpleville School S.S. No. 11 daily attendance registers for the years 1909-1928 and one (1) piece of slate blackboard with a pine frame made from the farm on which the school was located, Concession 7, Lot 28. On the back of the blackboard is an original note from the creator, Ken Robson.

Accession M016.15 consists of a Teston United Church scrapbook containing photographs, newspaper clippings, statements, reports and programs related to the 80th anniversary of the church, a scrapbook containing material regarding the 1985 Beaverbrook Community Centre Opening Ceremonies, and sixteen Purpleville School S.S. No. 11 test sheets from 1918-1937.

Accession M018.4 consists of 0.5cm of textual records, inlcuding: one (1) 1998 York Region Maple Health Centre Dedication Service Program; one (1) 1972/3 Maple Women's Institute Agenda Booklet ; one (1) 1974 Maple Women's Institute Agenda Booklet and one (1) 1961/2 Women's Institute Convention Report on Resolutions.

Accession M018.8 consists of nine (9) Microsoft Word documents, containing historic write-ups and photographs of Woodbridge, including; the Grant House, 7-27 Drive-In Theatre, Lacrosse in Woodbridge, Mrs. Will O. Duncan and family, Odeon Roxy Theatre, the Town of Vaughan Pool at Woodbridge, Woodbridge Fire Department, Woodbridge Post Office and the York Music Festival.

Accession M019.1 contains numerous Woodbridge streetscape and landmark photos including: Woodbridge High School, Woodbridge Public School, Elm's Hotel, Elder's Flour & Feed, John Watson Woodbridge Motors, Woodbridge Smoke Shop, Pine St, Maynard's Store, J.E. Harris Shoe Store, John Hallet's Private Bank, etc.

Accession M019.4 provides further insight into the history of Woodbridge, including original Annual York Music Festival programs, summaries of the history of the telephone in Woodbridge, a copy of the 1982 Woodbridge Centennial, and details on Vaughan citizens' involvement in World War II. An original 1855 land deed is also included. The folder containing war years data contains original material from the 1940s such as victory loans, speeches made regarding the war and honouring Vaughan combatants. The folder containing the history of the telephone in Woodbridge contains hand written original notes amongst newspaper clippings.

Accession M019.9 contains primarily photographs and slides, with a focus on sights around Woodbridge and local buildings eg. the C.P.R. Railroad, Woodbridge Hydro, the Snyder's Rubber Co., Bell Canada, Woodbridge Canadian Tire. There are also street scenes of Clarence Street, Kipling Ave, Islingtion Ave and Highway 7, Unionville Street, and Woodbridge Ave. Textual records are about the Wallace Family Store, a wedding anniversary invitation for Mr. and Mrs. Edwin W. Brown, and a vote card for Councilman W. Burkholder. Newspaper clippings are about Edwin W. Brown.

Accession M020.3 consists of images of buildings on 8th Ave, machinery, homes/farms from around Vaughan and sewer installation.

Accession M020.6 consists primarily of programs for the York West District, Federated Women’s Institute and programs/pamphlets for other women’s institutes and their activities. Other textual material includes handbooks for the Women’s Institute, membership cards, a paper with the Kleinburg School stamp, a name tag, pamphlets/writeups on the Adelaide Hunter Hoodless Homestead and furnishings, 4-H programs for Homemaking Club Achievement and manuals for composing Tweedsmuir Histories.

Properties of note are: Concession 7, Lot 11, Concession 9, Lot 2 & Lot 3, East half, Concession 2, Lot 34, Concession 9, Lot 11, Concession 6, Concession 9, Lot 4, East half, Concession 7, Concession 7, Lot 34, East half, Concession 7, Lot 18, Concession 9, Lot 9, Concession 8, Lot 13, Concession 9, Lot 6, Concession 6, Lot 14, Concession 9, Lot 11, Concession 7, Lot 2, Concession 8, Lot 1, West half, Concession 9, Lot 6, Concession 8, Lot 19, Concession 8, Lot 2, Concession 7, Lot 14, Concession 8, Lot 8 and Concession 6, Lot 7.

Accession M022.1 consists of a book entitled "The Village of Maple: And the Kids Who Grew up There." The book documents the history of Maple.

Accession M023.13 mostly consists of Vellore Pep and related newsletters. There are also historical accounts/research on the Village of Patterson, Vaughan Properties, Vaughan Council, and the Humber River.

Accession M023.17 consists of a signature quilt from 1950 (list of signatures on the item is stored with the quilt) and a Women's Baseball Jacket from ca. 1984. Names of those listed on the quilt include Dr. Bigford (who lived in the Beaverbrook house); George Bailey (the public school was named after him); Les Laver (who ran the garage); Milt Palmer (ran the mill and a fireman); Herb Joslin (killed in the Superior Propane explosion); Hilliard Bryan (bank manager); Dr. Fred Routley (Chief Executive Officer of the Canadian Red Cross); Mr. Emery Mathewson (who lived in the octagonal house for many years). The Women's baseball team in Maple was called "Maple Sugars" and it was sponsored by Canada's Wonderland. It included Elsie Milne and Agnes Foster as players. The jacket is from the second team for women under 30 called the "Maple Sweets," and was also sponsored by Canada's Wonderland.

Ink drawing of historic Kleinburg

  • CA CoV Archives M989.78
  • Item
  • 1988

Item consists of an ink drawing of historic Kleinburg. Depicted is a streetscape, ca. 1920.

Jim Cameron fonds [Textual records and other material]

  • CA CoV Archives MG 31
  • Fonds
  • 1934-2001, predominant 1950-1990

Fonds consists of plans, reports, studies, correspondence, published materials, essays, and newspaper clippings which document the planning and development of Vaughan. Specific Vaughan topics within the fonds include the Maple dump, the Maple theme park, the Woodbridge annexation, and the building of the Vaughan industrial park, to name but a few. Moreover, official plans and studies for Thornhill, Maple, Kleinburg, Nashville, and Woodbridge provide invaluable evidence as to the evolutionary development of these communities.

Jim Maw collection [Textual record and other material]

  • CA CoV Archives MG 66
  • Fonds
  • 1899-2002

Fonds consists of two booklets with various stories on Kleinburg, pamphlets from Central United Church and Woodbridge Presbyterian Church, a program for a walking tour of Kleinburg, A History of Nashville written by Jim Maw, 2 CDs with images of Nashville and accompanying explanatory notes, and lists of the baptisms, marriages, and deaths at the Nashville Presbyterian Church (Accession M009.8).

Accession M016.8 consists of one black and white photo from the first Burrlington School "Old Boys and Girls Reunion". The reunion was held at Scott's Bush at the west end of Nashville on August 29, 1931. During the afternoon, a program of spots was conducted by Len Patterson and Tom McDonough. The event continued for the next ten years, and eventually ended as a result of World War II.

Results 1 to 10 of 35