Showing 10 results

Archival description
Kleinburg (Ont.) Architecture
Print preview View:

Dora and George Snider collection [Textual record]

  • CA CoV Archives M013.41
  • Collection
  • 1912-1998

Collection consists of various historical write-ups on villages (Edgeley, Sherwood, Langstaff, Maple, Coleraine, Purpleville, Elder's Mills, Woodbridge, Vellore, Carrville, Concord, Hope, Kleinburg, Patterson, Pine Grove, Teston), genealogical histories (Stong, Jackson), and issues of The York Pioneer and Canadian-German Folklore.

Hugh and Jackie Cook collection [Textual record and other material]

  • CA CoV Archives MG 44
  • Collection
  • ca. 1875-2022

Collection consists of photos of the Elder's Mills Women's Institute in 2010 at the presentation of a plaque to Black Creek Pioneer Village honouring the fourteen branches of the former York West District of the Women's Institute, a newspaper photo of the Elder's Mills Women's Institute in 1982, a short history of the institute and a newspaper clipping of the institute in 2009. Also a photo from the 1930s of twelve women outside Maple United Church with an identification list included. Also two photos of the structures on Lot 9 Con 4 where Jean Bryson (nee Keffer) was born in 1922. Also Heritage Vaughan minutes from 1989 and by-law of the Recreation Advisory Committee -Maple from 1986.

Accession M011.19 consists of a write-up of Marshall McMurchy, photocopies of the Bryson home, a program from the The Gordon McGillivray Male Choir, and a birthday congratulations certificate to Gladys Maginn. Also, a Kortright booklet with drawings by Thoreau MacDonald, reports on the Cook and Rupert houses in Maple, and writeups on the Abel/Norton dam, St. Andrew's Presbyterian Church and Maple United Church. Also included: copy of newspaper photo of Janet Keffer and and Oliver, Art, and Joe Stong, writeup of last meeting of VTHS at Vellore Hall in 2003, and copy and transcription of deed of land given by Ellis family to School Section # 20 (Mount Lebanon Public School) in 1875. Also before and after photos of the Constable house at 3930 Major Mackenzie Dr. and a photocopy of a photo of the wedding in the 1920s at the house of Wilbur and Pauline Keffer officiated by Rev. Kirkwood. As well, a photocopy of the Kleinburg Public School class in 1940 with individuals identified and a report on the historical buildings in Vaughan by Barbara Plander, 1975. Also the original and typed copy of "Remembering William & Mary Shunk".

M013.33 accession consists of 5 items: “…now show me your belly-button!” with introduction by Pierre Berton (1967 publication), Vaughan Citizen Gold Book Telephone Directory 2012, Canpages City of Vaughan Telephone Directory 2011/2012
Maple Remembered – 2013 by Jackie Cook (6 pages), Interesting Dates Compiled by Jackie & Hugh Cook 2013 (3 pages)
Also included from a 2015 accession is a commemorative china plate from the Teston United Church, commissioned when the Church was putting on an addition ca. 1959. A signature quilt and background about the Ladies Aid that had this commissioned from 1910 is also included in the collection. Photos of the construction and completion of Maple Health Centre are also included in the collection.

Accession M015.17 consists of two (2) photos that were saved as a single PDF file which shows Maple Health Centre while under construction on December 6, 1997, and a completed Centre on July 10, 2001. These photos were obtained following a research request that reached out to the Cooks for more information and photos of the Centre at 10424 Keele Street.

Accession M015.23 consists of fifteen (15) items of historical and municipal significance to Vaughan, collected by Jean Bryson during her time in Vaughan and membership in the Vaughan Township Historical Society. Items include Zone Maps from the 1960s, Financial Statements of the Police Village of Vaughan (1931), Trustee Minutes (1961, 1962), Income Statements, Auditor Report (1961), Maple Community Centre Balance Sheets (1964), image of Maple Public School Graduates (1958), and a photo of Elder's Mills "Dishpan Seranaders".

Accession M015.24 consists of twelve (12) digital image files, consisting of the Maple Community Centre, 2134 Major Mackenzie Drive and Vellore Sports Teams. The images have been printed and retained in the Archives, along with the digital files themselves.

Accession M016.1 consists of information regarding the John Keffer House (located at 2134 Major Mackenzie Drive. Three photos and some background information were included in this donation.

Accession M016.4 consists of information regarding Joseph A. Gibson Public School and includes building photos, class pictures, a report card and news clippings about Joseph A. Gibson and the school itself. All items have been scanned and hard paper copies can be found in the Archives.

Accession M016.12 consists of nine (9) photographs depicting various stages of the Robson barn raising located on the West half of Lot 26, Concession 6, thirty-two (32) photographs of various barns in Vaughan taken from 2006-2010 by Louis Theriault and Frank Shaw, most of which are located in Kleinburg, and three (3) photographs of Hope School located on the West half of Lot 28, Concession 3 taken in 1958. Accompanying biographical information is included.

Accession M016.13 consists of twenty (20) Purpleville School S.S. No. 11 daily attendance registers for the years 1909-1928 and one (1) piece of slate blackboard with a pine frame made from the farm on which the school was located, Concession 7, Lot 28. On the back of the blackboard is an original note from the creator, Ken Robson.

Accession M016.15 consists of a Teston United Church scrapbook containing photographs, newspaper clippings, statements, reports and programs related to the 80th anniversary of the church, a scrapbook containing material regarding the 1985 Beaverbrook Community Centre Opening Ceremonies, and sixteen Purpleville School S.S. No. 11 test sheets from 1918-1937.

Accession M018.4 consists of 0.5cm of textual records, inlcuding: one (1) 1998 York Region Maple Health Centre Dedication Service Program; one (1) 1972/3 Maple Women's Institute Agenda Booklet ; one (1) 1974 Maple Women's Institute Agenda Booklet and one (1) 1961/2 Women's Institute Convention Report on Resolutions.

Accession M018.8 consists of nine (9) Microsoft Word documents, containing historic write-ups and photographs of Woodbridge, including; the Grant House, 7-27 Drive-In Theatre, Lacrosse in Woodbridge, Mrs. Will O. Duncan and family, Odeon Roxy Theatre, the Town of Vaughan Pool at Woodbridge, Woodbridge Fire Department, Woodbridge Post Office and the York Music Festival.

Accession M019.1 contains numerous Woodbridge streetscape and landmark photos including: Woodbridge High School, Woodbridge Public School, Elm's Hotel, Elder's Flour & Feed, John Watson Woodbridge Motors, Woodbridge Smoke Shop, Pine St, Maynard's Store, J.E. Harris Shoe Store, John Hallet's Private Bank, etc.

Accession M019.4 provides further insight into the history of Woodbridge, including original Annual York Music Festival programs, summaries of the history of the telephone in Woodbridge, a copy of the 1982 Woodbridge Centennial, and details on Vaughan citizens' involvement in World War II. An original 1855 land deed is also included. The folder containing war years data contains original material from the 1940s such as victory loans, speeches made regarding the war and honouring Vaughan combatants. The folder containing the history of the telephone in Woodbridge contains hand written original notes amongst newspaper clippings.

Accession M019.9 contains primarily photographs and slides, with a focus on sights around Woodbridge and local buildings eg. the C.P.R. Railroad, Woodbridge Hydro, the Snyder's Rubber Co., Bell Canada, Woodbridge Canadian Tire. There are also street scenes of Clarence Street, Kipling Ave, Islingtion Ave and Highway 7, Unionville Street, and Woodbridge Ave. Textual records are about the Wallace Family Store, a wedding anniversary invitation for Mr. and Mrs. Edwin W. Brown, and a vote card for Councilman W. Burkholder. Newspaper clippings are about Edwin W. Brown.

Accession M020.3 consists of images of buildings on 8th Ave, machinery, homes/farms from around Vaughan and sewer installation.

Accession M020.6 consists primarily of programs for the York West District, Federated Women’s Institute and programs/pamphlets for other women’s institutes and their activities. Other textual material includes handbooks for the Women’s Institute, membership cards, a paper with the Kleinburg School stamp, a name tag, pamphlets/writeups on the Adelaide Hunter Hoodless Homestead and furnishings, 4-H programs for Homemaking Club Achievement and manuals for composing Tweedsmuir Histories.

Properties of note are: Concession 7, Lot 11, Concession 9, Lot 2 & Lot 3, East half, Concession 2, Lot 34, Concession 9, Lot 11, Concession 6, Concession 9, Lot 4, East half, Concession 7, Concession 7, Lot 34, East half, Concession 7, Lot 18, Concession 9, Lot 9, Concession 8, Lot 13, Concession 9, Lot 6, Concession 6, Lot 14, Concession 9, Lot 11, Concession 7, Lot 2, Concession 8, Lot 1, West half, Concession 9, Lot 6, Concession 8, Lot 19, Concession 8, Lot 2, Concession 7, Lot 14, Concession 8, Lot 8 and Concession 6, Lot 7.

Accession M022.1 consists of a book entitled "The Village of Maple: And the Kids Who Grew up There." The book documents the history of Maple.

Accession M023.13 mostly consists of Vellore Pep and related newsletters. There are also historical accounts/research on the Village of Patterson, Vaughan Properties, Vaughan Council, and the Humber River.

Accession M023.17 consists of a signature quilt from 1950 (list of signatures on the item is stored with the quilt) and a Women's Baseball Jacket from ca. 1984. Names of those listed on the quilt include Dr. Bigford (who lived in the Beaverbrook house); George Bailey (the public school was named after him); Les Laver (who ran the garage); Milt Palmer (ran the mill and a fireman); Herb Joslin (killed in the Superior Propane explosion); Hilliard Bryan (bank manager); Dr. Fred Routley (Chief Executive Officer of the Canadian Red Cross); Mr. Emery Mathewson (who lived in the octagonal house for many years). The Women's baseball team in Maple was called "Maple Sugars" and it was sponsored by Canada's Wonderland. It included Elsie Milne and Agnes Foster as players. The jacket is from the second team for women under 30 called the "Maple Sweets," and was also sponsored by Canada's Wonderland.

Jim Cameron fonds [Textual records and other material]

  • CA CoV Archives MG 31
  • Fonds
  • 1934-2001, predominant 1950-1990

Fonds consists of plans, reports, studies, correspondence, published materials, essays, and newspaper clippings which document the planning and development of Vaughan. Specific Vaughan topics within the fonds include the Maple dump, the Maple theme park, the Woodbridge annexation, and the building of the Vaughan industrial park, to name but a few. Moreover, official plans and studies for Thornhill, Maple, Kleinburg, Nashville, and Woodbridge provide invaluable evidence as to the evolutionary development of these communities.

Norberta O'Rourke fonds [Textual record and other material]

  • CA CoV Archives MG 45
  • Fonds
  • 1828-2002, predominant 1900-1980

Fonds consists of family histories and genealogical material, histories of schools and churches in Pine Grove and Woodbridge as well as the communities themselves, photographs, photo albums, scrapbooks, architectural drawings of the St. Margaret Mary School, diplomas, report cards, invitations, certificates, awards, programs, maps, correspondence, newspaper ad layouts, newspaper clippings, and commemorative coins from the 1991 inauguration of the City of Vaughan. Also includes County of York uniform promotion examination certificate documenting promotion of Mary O'Rourke of the Pine Grove School and an indenture between Alfred and Harriet Gooderham, grantors, and Michael O'Rourke, grantee. Also contains "1833 it was -- a trading post and granary 1989 it is -- a house of the 20th century", an unpublished essay by Norberta O'Rourke which details the history of the Elliot Trading Post and surrounding area, originally constructed on Lot 11, Concession 8, Vaughan Township in 1833.

Some of Vaughan's Pictorial Past / by Hugh Cook

  • CA CoV Archives MG 47
  • File
  • 2011

File consists of three copies of a pictorial book with text depicting a wide range of structures throughout Vaughan including schools, churches, stores, farms, houses, and mills.

Vaughan Historical Reference Files [Textual record material]

  • CA CoV Archives Ref. 15
  • Collection
  • [ca. 1800-2011]

Collection consists of general reference files containing histories on many of Vaughan's communities as well as brief histories on a variety of historic structures and buildings throughout Vaughan.

Vaughan Public Library fonds

  • CA CoV Archives RG 27
  • Fonds
  • 1833-2017

Fonds consists of items collected by the various branches of the Vaughan Public Library over the past few decades. Items were collected by both staff and Board Members who accumulated materials for VPLs Reference Collection. Included in the accession are various historical reference files, newspapers, minute books, historical slides, maps and clippings which relate to historic homes and personalities from the Vaughan area. Of particular note are: Thornhill Month Newspapers from 1980-1999; York Region Criss-Cross Directories from 1997-2000; "Woodbridge: A Heritage in Pictures" slide set by Nick Wesson; Woodbridge Women's Institute Minute Books, Treasury Books and Programs ca. 1904-1969; Vaughan Perspectives Newspapers from 2007; MTRCA Maple Area Study from 1974; Kleinburg, King City, Concord, Vaughan, Thornhill and Richmond Hill Historic House Clippings; "Crossroads to Urban Community" by Hugh Cook; Vaughan Weekly, Citizen and SNAP newspapers and an "Ontario Directory to 1900s on Microfiche".

Accession M016.3 consists of one printout of the Vaughan Poetry Map, created in 2016 for the celebration of Vaughan's 25th Anniversary.

M018.1 consists of items produced as a result of the Bathurst Clark Library's summer exhibit "Anne Frank - A History for Today". This exhibit, which ran from July 3rd - August 31st, 2017 was well received by the public and various comments were left by guests in a guest book, supplied by the library. This guest book, along with two promotional materials have been transferred to the archives.

Accession M020.1 consists of architectural plans and drawings from the construction of four Vaughan City Libraries: Civic Centre Resource Library, Pleasant Ridge Library, Dufferin Clark Library and Ainsley Grove Library. Primary focus is on showing finished designs for libraries and elevations. Drawings also show element schedules, construction details and other perspectives.

Accession M022.2 consists of two foamcore boards depicting interior renovations to the Bathurst Clark Library.

Accession M024.1 consists of a number of reference resources on early settlement and the history of Vaughan, with a specific focus on the Village of Woodbridge. Also included are a commemorative plate commissioned by the BWI, postcards of Woodbridge, images of Council members and paintings of the area.

Vellore Women's Institute fonds [Textual record and other material]

  • CA CoV Archives MG 1
  • Fonds
  • 1835-1994, predominant 1960-1990

Fonds consists of minute books, 1915-1982, delineating deliberations, decisions, and activities of the Vellore Women's Institute, as well as occasionally citing the names of members and officers; and Vellore Tweedsmuir history (present in original and microform). Main topical subjects addressed in the latter include: Vellore Women's Institute and its contribution to welfare and development of the community; general community history including geography and topography of the locale; municipal government; agriculture; architecture; education; trade and commerce; histories of individual farms and families; religion; experiences of the community in Canada's wars including namers of volunteers in both conflicts; the Vellore Literary Society; the Vellore Band; transcribed reminicences of such individuals as Mrs. Ann Davidson, and Elizabeth Ann Snider; (extensive coverage of Rutherford Barn Raising, 1929; as well as history of hamlet of Teston; and Purpleville School (S.S #11).
The 2002 accrual consists of the papers from the Woodbridge Agricultural Fair and the Canadian Association of Exhibitions; minute books of the Vellore Women

Windrush Properties Inc. fonds [Textual record and other material]

  • CA CoV Archives M001.2
  • Fonds
  • 1903-1990

Fonds consists of financial statements, correspondence, bridge architectural designs, and site plan maps relating to the Windrush properties. Also records and photos pertaining to the reconstruction of the Windrush bridge. Family history (including tombstone photos, 1917 correspondence, newspaper clippings, genealogies, 1903 burial permits, etc) for the Hogg, Livingston, Gluster, and Glaister families and Hogg's Hollow.