Print preview Close

Showing 27 results

Archival description
Women
Print preview View:

Burwick Women's Institute fonds

  • CA CoV Archives MG 15
  • Fonds
  • 1925-1996

Fonds consists of cashbooks, ledgers, miscellaneous financial documents, minute books, programmes, and correspondence; the aforementioned records delineate deliberations, decisions, activities, financial transactions, and members and officers. Fonds also includes the Woodbridge Tweedsmuir history, a large format 5 volume local history of the Woodbridge area compiled by the members of the Burwick Women's Institute since 1947; the history contains numerous photographs and postcards. Fonds also includes miscellaneous printed matter reflecting the affiliations of the institute.

Edgeley Women's Institute fonds

  • CA CoV Archives MG 17
  • Fonds
  • 1861-1993

Fonds consists of: Minute books, 1913-1993 (1926-1937 volume is missing) delineating the deliberations, decisions, and activities of the Edgeley Women's Institute; minute books also include lists of officers and directors, attendance records of members, and cash book entries and general financial statements. One separate cash book, 1988-1993. Programmes, 1921-1981. Edgeley Tweedsmuir History, which in addition to a history of the Edgeley area from 1792 includes a list of guest speakers that addressed the institute, biographies of certain members, lists of officers and members who held offices at the district and provincial level. There are also notes and draft chapters for the Tweedsmuir History, as well as a manual for the latter's compilation issued by the Ontario Women's Institute, and a number of original documents collected as research material for the history. The fonds also includes a photograph series constituted of two aggregates; the first focuses on the membership and activities of the Edgeley Women's Institute. The second consists of historic photographs relating to Edgeley; some notable images include the Edgeley School with pupils assembled in front, 1888, a turn-of-the-century barn raising, a steam tractor converted to power a circular saw, 1900, and the interior of a typical 1920's farmhouse.

Elder's Mills Women's Institute fonds

  • CA CoV Archives MG 22
  • Fonds
  • 1949-2010

Fonds consists of minute books of the agency for the period 1949 to 2010, and a microfilm copy of the community Tweedsmuir history, microfilmed in 1984. The institute minutes include integral financial statements noting receipts and disbursements, as well as lists of officers and directors, and attendance registers. The Tweedsmuir history is composed of eight topical elements: mills, including the origin of the place name Elder's Mills, family histories and biographies, photographs, maps of original land owners, and Indigenous History; the Elder's Mill's Women's Institute, including organizational history, personal histories of membership, membership lists, etc. ; churches; schools, including Elder's Mills (School Section #15), Vaughan School (Lower Ninth) (School Section 13), Mackenzie Senior Public School, and a brief history of schools in the western half of Vaughan; roads and fences; farms, from the 7th to the 9th concession, community organizations; and services, including the Woodbridge and Vaughan Telephone Company, Woodbridger Hydro-Electric Power Commission, Toronto Grey and Bruce Railway; also included is a roll of Elder's Mills residents who served in His Majesty's Forces in World War I.

Hugh and Jackie Cook collection [Textual record and other material]

  • CA CoV Archives MG 44
  • Collection
  • ca. 1875-2022

Collection consists of photos of the Elder's Mills Women's Institute in 2010 at the presentation of a plaque to Black Creek Pioneer Village honouring the fourteen branches of the former York West District of the Women's Institute, a newspaper photo of the Elder's Mills Women's Institute in 1982, a short history of the institute and a newspaper clipping of the institute in 2009. Also a photo from the 1930s of twelve women outside Maple United Church with an identification list included. Also two photos of the structures on Lot 9 Con 4 where Jean Bryson (nee Keffer) was born in 1922. Also Heritage Vaughan minutes from 1989 and by-law of the Recreation Advisory Committee -Maple from 1986.

Accession M011.19 consists of a write-up of Marshall McMurchy, photocopies of the Bryson home, a program from the The Gordon McGillivray Male Choir, and a birthday congratulations certificate to Gladys Maginn. Also, a Kortright booklet with drawings by Thoreau MacDonald, reports on the Cook and Rupert houses in Maple, and writeups on the Abel/Norton dam, St. Andrew's Presbyterian Church and Maple United Church. Also included: copy of newspaper photo of Janet Keffer and and Oliver, Art, and Joe Stong, writeup of last meeting of VTHS at Vellore Hall in 2003, and copy and transcription of deed of land given by Ellis family to School Section # 20 (Mount Lebanon Public School) in 1875. Also before and after photos of the Constable house at 3930 Major Mackenzie Dr. and a photocopy of a photo of the wedding in the 1920s at the house of Wilbur and Pauline Keffer officiated by Rev. Kirkwood. As well, a photocopy of the Kleinburg Public School class in 1940 with individuals identified and a report on the historical buildings in Vaughan by Barbara Plander, 1975. Also the original and typed copy of "Remembering William & Mary Shunk".

M013.33 accession consists of 5 items: “…now show me your belly-button!” with introduction by Pierre Berton (1967 publication), Vaughan Citizen Gold Book Telephone Directory 2012, Canpages City of Vaughan Telephone Directory 2011/2012
Maple Remembered – 2013 by Jackie Cook (6 pages), Interesting Dates Compiled by Jackie & Hugh Cook 2013 (3 pages)
Also included from a 2015 accession is a commemorative china plate from the Teston United Church, commissioned when the Church was putting on an addition ca. 1959. A signature quilt and background about the Ladies Aid that had this commissioned from 1910 is also included in the collection. Photos of the construction and completion of Maple Health Centre are also included in the collection.

Accession M015.17 consists of two (2) photos that were saved as a single PDF file which shows Maple Health Centre while under construction on December 6, 1997, and a completed Centre on July 10, 2001. These photos were obtained following a research request that reached out to the Cooks for more information and photos of the Centre at 10424 Keele Street.

Accession M015.23 consists of fifteen (15) items of historical and municipal significance to Vaughan, collected by Jean Bryson during her time in Vaughan and membership in the Vaughan Township Historical Society. Items include Zone Maps from the 1960s, Financial Statements of the Police Village of Vaughan (1931), Trustee Minutes (1961, 1962), Income Statements, Auditor Report (1961), Maple Community Centre Balance Sheets (1964), image of Maple Public School Graduates (1958), and a photo of Elder's Mills "Dishpan Seranaders".

Accession M015.24 consists of twelve (12) digital image files, consisting of the Maple Community Centre, 2134 Major Mackenzie Drive and Vellore Sports Teams. The images have been printed and retained in the Archives, along with the digital files themselves.

Accession M016.1 consists of information regarding the John Keffer House (located at 2134 Major Mackenzie Drive. Three photos and some background information were included in this donation.

Accession M016.4 consists of information regarding Joseph A. Gibson Public School and includes building photos, class pictures, a report card and news clippings about Joseph A. Gibson and the school itself. All items have been scanned and hard paper copies can be found in the Archives.

Accession M016.12 consists of nine (9) photographs depicting various stages of the Robson barn raising located on the West half of Lot 26, Concession 6, thirty-two (32) photographs of various barns in Vaughan taken from 2006-2010 by Louis Theriault and Frank Shaw, most of which are located in Kleinburg, and three (3) photographs of Hope School located on the West half of Lot 28, Concession 3 taken in 1958. Accompanying biographical information is included.

Accession M016.13 consists of twenty (20) Purpleville School S.S. No. 11 daily attendance registers for the years 1909-1928 and one (1) piece of slate blackboard with a pine frame made from the farm on which the school was located, Concession 7, Lot 28. On the back of the blackboard is an original note from the creator, Ken Robson.

Accession M016.15 consists of a Teston United Church scrapbook containing photographs, newspaper clippings, statements, reports and programs related to the 80th anniversary of the church, a scrapbook containing material regarding the 1985 Beaverbrook Community Centre Opening Ceremonies, and sixteen Purpleville School S.S. No. 11 test sheets from 1918-1937.

Accession M018.4 consists of 0.5cm of textual records, inlcuding: one (1) 1998 York Region Maple Health Centre Dedication Service Program; one (1) 1972/3 Maple Women's Institute Agenda Booklet ; one (1) 1974 Maple Women's Institute Agenda Booklet and one (1) 1961/2 Women's Institute Convention Report on Resolutions.

Accession M018.8 consists of nine (9) Microsoft Word documents, containing historic write-ups and photographs of Woodbridge, including; the Grant House, 7-27 Drive-In Theatre, Lacrosse in Woodbridge, Mrs. Will O. Duncan and family, Odeon Roxy Theatre, the Town of Vaughan Pool at Woodbridge, Woodbridge Fire Department, Woodbridge Post Office and the York Music Festival.

Accession M019.1 contains numerous Woodbridge streetscape and landmark photos including: Woodbridge High School, Woodbridge Public School, Elm's Hotel, Elder's Flour & Feed, John Watson Woodbridge Motors, Woodbridge Smoke Shop, Pine St, Maynard's Store, J.E. Harris Shoe Store, John Hallet's Private Bank, etc.

Accession M019.4 provides further insight into the history of Woodbridge, including original Annual York Music Festival programs, summaries of the history of the telephone in Woodbridge, a copy of the 1982 Woodbridge Centennial, and details on Vaughan citizens' involvement in World War II. An original 1855 land deed is also included. The folder containing war years data contains original material from the 1940s such as victory loans, speeches made regarding the war and honouring Vaughan combatants. The folder containing the history of the telephone in Woodbridge contains hand written original notes amongst newspaper clippings.

Accession M019.9 contains primarily photographs and slides, with a focus on sights around Woodbridge and local buildings eg. the C.P.R. Railroad, Woodbridge Hydro, the Snyder's Rubber Co., Bell Canada, Woodbridge Canadian Tire. There are also street scenes of Clarence Street, Kipling Ave, Islingtion Ave and Highway 7, Unionville Street, and Woodbridge Ave. Textual records are about the Wallace Family Store, a wedding anniversary invitation for Mr. and Mrs. Edwin W. Brown, and a vote card for Councilman W. Burkholder. Newspaper clippings are about Edwin W. Brown.

Accession M020.3 consists of images of buildings on 8th Ave, machinery, homes/farms from around Vaughan and sewer installation.

Accession M020.6 consists primarily of programs for the York West District, Federated Women’s Institute and programs/pamphlets for other women’s institutes and their activities. Other textual material includes handbooks for the Women’s Institute, membership cards, a paper with the Kleinburg School stamp, a name tag, pamphlets/writeups on the Adelaide Hunter Hoodless Homestead and furnishings, 4-H programs for Homemaking Club Achievement and manuals for composing Tweedsmuir Histories.

Properties of note are: Concession 7, Lot 11, Concession 9, Lot 2 & Lot 3, East half, Concession 2, Lot 34, Concession 9, Lot 11, Concession 6, Concession 9, Lot 4, East half, Concession 7, Concession 7, Lot 34, East half, Concession 7, Lot 18, Concession 9, Lot 9, Concession 8, Lot 13, Concession 9, Lot 6, Concession 6, Lot 14, Concession 9, Lot 11, Concession 7, Lot 2, Concession 8, Lot 1, West half, Concession 9, Lot 6, Concession 8, Lot 19, Concession 8, Lot 2, Concession 7, Lot 14, Concession 8, Lot 8 and Concession 6, Lot 7.

Accession M022.1 consists of a book entitled "The Village of Maple: And the Kids Who Grew up There." The book documents the history of Maple.

Accession M023.13 mostly consists of Vellore Pep and related newsletters. There are also historical accounts/research on the Village of Patterson, Vaughan Properties, Vaughan Council, and the Humber River.

Accession M023.17 consists of a signature quilt from 1950 (list of signatures on the item is stored with the quilt) and a Women's Baseball Jacket from ca. 1984. Names of those listed on the quilt include Dr. Bigford (who lived in the Beaverbrook house); George Bailey (the public school was named after him); Les Laver (who ran the garage); Milt Palmer (ran the mill and a fireman); Herb Joslin (killed in the Superior Propane explosion); Hilliard Bryan (bank manager); Dr. Fred Routley (Chief Executive Officer of the Canadian Red Cross); Mr. Emery Mathewson (who lived in the octagonal house for many years). The Women's baseball team in Maple was called "Maple Sugars" and it was sponsored by Canada's Wonderland. It included Elsie Milne and Agnes Foster as players. The jacket is from the second team for women under 30 called the "Maple Sweets," and was also sponsored by Canada's Wonderland.

Jean A. Bryson fonds [Textual record and other material]

  • CA CoV Archives MG 25
  • Fonds
  • 1901-2007, predominant 1950-1970

Fonds consists of Jean Keffer artwork from 1935; correspondence regarding the annual Campbell, Keffer, Cameron, and Snider family reunions; Jean

Laura Weaver collection

  • CA CoV Archives M998.17
  • Collection
  • [ca.1890]-1985

Collection consists of photographs of students and staff of Langstaff School, 1893 and Concord School, 1924, n.d.; photographs of attendees of Thornhill United Church Sunday School picnic, 1925, Thornhill Girls Hockey Team, 1918, and unidentified family portrait originally owned by the late Mary Jane Weaver. Textual records consist of newspaper clippings documenting aspects of the heritage of Markham, Vaughan and Richmond Hill from the 1970's to 1985, with a particular focus on built heritage.

Maple Knit-Wit Club fonds

  • CA CoV Archives M000.1
  • Fonds
  • 1942-1945

Fonds consists of a single volume of typed minutes, fincancial statements, lists of Maple residents serving in Canada and overseas in various military service branches (e.g. navy air force, etc.); includes snapshots of membersof the Club and Maple servicemen, newspaper clippings, including published letters of thanks from Maple men serving overseas.

Maple United Church Women fonds [Textual record]

  • CA CoV Archives M009.10
  • Fonds
  • 1896-1989, predominant 1970-1989

Fonds consists of a guest book and guest list from the Quilt, Craft and Antique Show in 1974, songs and plays, minutes from 1970 to 1989, and a pocket hymn book from 1896.

Maple Women's Institute fonds [Textual records and other material]

  • CA CoV Archives MG 21
  • Fonds
  • 1867-1995, predominant 1920-1995

Fonds consists of minute books delineating deliberations, decisions, and activities, for the period 1920-1991; members and officers also cited, intermittently. Fonds also constituted of the Maple Tweedsmuir history, in 2 volumes, compiled between ca. 1948 and 1995 (while the institute disbanded in 1991, work on the compilation of the final volume of the Tweedsmuir history continued until 1995) the history, which includes numerous 19th and early twentieth century photographs and postcards, comments on: architecture and buildings such as the Maple Community Library, Canadian Bank of Commerce, Maple Community Centre; general history of Maple; personalities such as Dr. Routley and Isaac Baker; events such as the Superior Propane Explosion of 1962; institutions and agencies such as Woodbridge and Vaughan Telephone Co., Maple Flying Club; etc. A historical sketch of the hamlet of Sherwood, just south of Maple, is also included. Tweedsmuir history provides excellent photographic evidence of Maple and its inhabitants, and includes postcards, some examples of which are hand-coloured. The history chronicles Maple and its evolution to 1995, with the second volume focusing heavily on streetscapes and heritage preservation in the mid-1980's to 1990's. Fonds also includes two large volumes of newspaper clippings chronicling various events in Maple from 1960 to the early 1980's and the history of the Maple Women's Institute; volume focusing upon Maple includes extensive coverage of Maple Lions Club and Superior Propane Explosion of 1962, development and local opposition thereto, municipal government, as well as images and text from newspapers re: 19th-century Maple. Second volume centres primarily upon the history of the Maple W.I. Fonds also includes loose postcards and photographs documenting architecture, streetscapes, and personalities; as well, odd documents such as maps, printed histories of the Hope United Church and Teston United Church, 1891 by-laws for the Maple United Church, etc. Of final note is the presence of a Primitive Methodist "preachers' plan" for the Laskay Circuit for 1867-1879, indicating preachers, stewards and places on the circuit (includes villages of Carrville and Patterson in Vaughan Township).

Mary Wood collection [Textual record and other material]

  • CA CoV Archives MG 10
  • Fonds
  • [ca. 1900]-2003, predominant 1929-1984

Fonds consists of textual records, photographic material and objects. Textual material predominantly composed of scrapbooks containing newspaper clippings, typescripts, circulars, brief histories and biographical sketches, pamphlets, etc. Also, graphic material including photoprints, some of which are located in the abovereferenced binders, slides, and microfiche copies of 2 photo albums. All material reflects Mrs. Wood's eclectic conception of those topics, events, persons, places, etc. constituting the history of the Vaughan area, with a particular emphasis on Woodbridge. M013.40 includes 19 diaries kept by Mary Wood between 1928 and 1989 as well as various cookbooks from the 1960s-1980s, photos of the Mud Brick House being moved, photos of the Fairground Lane Houses in Woodbridge being developed, and a Woodbridge School class photo from 1914 or 1915 as well as a book recording the graves at various cemeteries between 1921 and 1954. Also a book with obituary newspaper clippings from 1982 to 1989 and details on Wayne and Gert's 1956 wedding.

M019.3 contains material from Mary Wood received via Ann and Wayne Wood. This accession contains physical material from the Woodbridge Fall Fair (one cap, one candy dish, one entry ticket), one button with a mirror and a photograph material related to the funerals of Mary Wood, John Wood, and various others held at Scott Funeral Home in Woodbridge from 1969 to 1980. There is also 108 various Woodbridge photos (some identified, some not), 4 photo negatives, 1 stereosocopic negative, 14 negative strips, 3 postcards, business cards from Woodbridge in the mid-20th century, a baby book and pamphlet for Wayne Wood and funeral registers for (James Alvin Wood and Mary Wood, as well as the marriage certifcate and wedding book for John Wood and Mary (nee Brown) Wood. In addition, there are a couple scrapbooks of newspaper clippings, cards and documents, and a portrait of Mary Wood.

Results 1 to 10 of 27