Showing 26 results

Archival description
Streetscapes
Print preview View:

Bruce Snider fonds

  • CA CoV Archives M997.3
  • Fonds
  • [ca. 1867-1945]

Fonds consists of photographs, legal documents (mortgages, indentures, etc.), commonplace book (i.e. a volume in which is entered information of any kind to be remember by the compiler), correspondence, financial documents, WW II ration book, greeting cards, newspaper clippings and livestock gestation table.

Carrville post office and Sherwood log schoolhouse photographs [grahic material]

  • CA CoV Archives M013.29
  • File
  • 1963

File consists of 1963 photographs of Stan Sellen and his family and a neighbor, Bert Whitty, at Carrville Post Office (at that time their family home) which was built by Thomas Cook in 1844 and became the post office in 1965. The Del Broccos (first Italian family in Vaughan) lived in the house in the 1920s. Building bought by Reamington Developments and restored. Restoration ceremony organized by Stan

City Archives Memory Project [Textual record and other material]

  • CA CoV Archives MG 55
  • Collection
  • 2013-2014

Collection consists of manuscripts with people's memories of growing up or living in Vaughan. Includes stories and memories of buildings, people, businesses, roads, storms, schools, churches, etc. Some responders even included copies of images and artwork.

City of Vaughan Recreation Services fonds

  • CA CoV Archives RG 18
  • Fonds
  • ca. 1850-2018, predominant 1970-2005

Fonds consists of a banner used for the official opening of City Hall, as well as 46 reference books on Canada, Ontario and Vaughan Township history. Also included is 1 enlargement of the Humber River on foam core. Of particular interest is a 2000 calendar with Lorna Jackson's artwork, a 1986 Kleinburg Binder Twine Festival program, a book on the Keffer Site and archeaological dig, a book from the Pennsylvania-German folklore society on the baker family homestead, an article on Patterson in the York Pioneer Journal, and writeups on Al Palladini and Gus Lanzarotta's businesses.

The October 2011 Accession (RG 18-011.1) included a banner to commemorate the Official Opening of the New City Hall on September 25, 2011. The majority of the images on this banner were taken from City of Vaughan Archives. The banner provides a timeline and depicts images of buildings used for City Hall throughout Vaughan's history as well as scenes from Vaughan's past.

The May 2014 Accession (RG 18 -014.2) included a CD consisting of images depicting the Inaugural Council of 2010, the Vaughan Accord of 2011, as well as photos of the new City Hall Construction, Christmas Wish Toy Drive, and Old Heritage and Vaughan Celebrates Photos from 2010.

See record of transfer form for full list of materials transferred.

Accession M022.4 contains objects related to well-known Vaughan figures and insitutions including John Thompson, Major Mackenzie, Garnet Williams and Elizabeth Arden. Many books contain inscriptions relating to the Stump family and the Bibles have inserts of birth registers and obituaries.

Accession M024.4 consists of 3 files relating to heritage properties on Keele Street: 8981 Keele, 9589 Keele and 9560 Keele.

Janet Berton fonds (MG 52)

  • CA CoV Archives MG 52
  • Fonds
  • 1837-2013, predominant 1950-2004

The fonds consists of records that reflect the different roles that Janet played throughout her life as well as the various activities and functions she performed throughout the community. The fonds is arranged into five series and then various subseries, all of which reflect Janet’s diverse activities.

The majority of the records are textual (i.e. minutes, reports, correspondence, published material, newspapers, etc.) although there is also a sizable photograph collection as well as some maps and plans and even artwork. Fonds consists of: Binder Twine Festival programs, posters, artwork, committee minutes, advertising, press releases, copies of by-laws, books, correspondence, account ledgers, newsletters, speeches, research notes, newspaper clippings, cassette tapes, Kleinburg/community history notes (eg. United Church, historical buildings and homes, families and individuals), walking tour booklets, notes on Kleinburg and Vaughan development, Humber Heritage committee notes, agendas, newspaper clippings, reports, LACAC/Heritage Vaughan books, notes on heritage homes and architecture, minutes and agendas, manuals, newspaper clippings, reports, CFUW books, newsletters, pamphlets, journal articles, minutes, conference notes, newspaper clippings, Kleinburg Home & School Association notes, newspaper clippings, HELP newspaper clippings, minutes, newsletters, Operation Catch-Up files, CACY pollution and development notes, Dellcrest notes, reports, minutes, KARA agendas and minutes, notes, correspondence, address books, calendars, agendas, travel notes and booklets, guidebooks and maps for locations around the world, other Ontario and Canadian heritage books, reports, magazines (York, food, National Geographic, Beaver, cat), fiction books, journals, programs, pamphlets, maps, Kleinburg Shaw store account ledgers from late 1800s to ca. 1930.

Berton, Janet

John McDonald collection : [ca. 1804-1970, 1994]

  • CA CoV Archives MG 19
  • Collection
  • Copied 1993-1994

Collection consists of copies of transcriptions of abstract indexes to deeds, nominal and agricultural census records re: John McDonald and other members of the McDonald family in Vaughan Township; also includes copy of Crown Deed granting John McDonald land in Vaughan, will and biographical sketch of foregoing; and data on McDonald family farms in Maple and Vellore. Histories of the hamlet of Vellore, the Vellore Old Boys Association, the Vellore School and Township Hall also form part of this collection. Graphic material includes photograpic copyprints of original visual documentation of Vellore, the Cameron Road Carts company, John McDonald and family: Samuel, Dugald, Donald, etc. Images provide good coverage of Vellore during the late 1800's to mid-1930's; also two images of Vellore Football Team, 1908 and 1928.

Maple Women's Institute fonds [Textual records and other material]

  • CA CoV Archives MG 21
  • Fonds
  • 1867-1995, predominant 1920-1995

Fonds consists of minute books delineating deliberations, decisions, and activities, for the period 1920-1991; members and officers also cited, intermittently. Fonds also constituted of the Maple Tweedsmuir history, in 2 volumes, compiled between ca. 1948 and 1995 (while the institute disbanded in 1991, work on the compilation of the final volume of the Tweedsmuir history continued until 1995) the history, which includes numerous 19th and early twentieth century photographs and postcards, comments on: architecture and buildings such as the Maple Community Library, Canadian Bank of Commerce, Maple Community Centre; general history of Maple; personalities such as Dr. Routley and Isaac Baker; events such as the Superior Propane Explosion of 1962; institutions and agencies such as Woodbridge and Vaughan Telephone Co., Maple Flying Club; etc. A historical sketch of the hamlet of Sherwood, just south of Maple, is also included. Tweedsmuir history provides excellent photographic evidence of Maple and its inhabitants, and includes postcards, some examples of which are hand-coloured. The history chronicles Maple and its evolution to 1995, with the second volume focusing heavily on streetscapes and heritage preservation in the mid-1980's to 1990's. Fonds also includes two large volumes of newspaper clippings chronicling various events in Maple from 1960 to the early 1980's and the history of the Maple Women's Institute; volume focusing upon Maple includes extensive coverage of Maple Lions Club and Superior Propane Explosion of 1962, development and local opposition thereto, municipal government, as well as images and text from newspapers re: 19th-century Maple. Second volume centres primarily upon the history of the Maple W.I. Fonds also includes loose postcards and photographs documenting architecture, streetscapes, and personalities; as well, odd documents such as maps, printed histories of the Hope United Church and Teston United Church, 1891 by-laws for the Maple United Church, etc. Of final note is the presence of a Primitive Methodist "preachers' plan" for the Laskay Circuit for 1867-1879, indicating preachers, stewards and places on the circuit (includes villages of Carrville and Patterson in Vaughan Township).

Mary Wood collection [Textual record and other material]

  • CA CoV Archives MG 10
  • Fonds
  • [ca. 1900]-2003, predominant 1929-1984

Fonds consists of textual records, photographic material and objects. Textual material predominantly composed of scrapbooks containing newspaper clippings, typescripts, circulars, brief histories and biographical sketches, pamphlets, etc. Also, graphic material including photoprints, some of which are located in the abovereferenced binders, slides, and microfiche copies of 2 photo albums. All material reflects Mrs. Wood's eclectic conception of those topics, events, persons, places, etc. constituting the history of the Vaughan area, with a particular emphasis on Woodbridge. M013.40 includes 19 diaries kept by Mary Wood between 1928 and 1989 as well as various cookbooks from the 1960s-1980s, photos of the Mud Brick House being moved, photos of the Fairground Lane Houses in Woodbridge being developed, and a Woodbridge School class photo from 1914 or 1915 as well as a book recording the graves at various cemeteries between 1921 and 1954. Also a book with obituary newspaper clippings from 1982 to 1989 and details on Wayne and Gert's 1956 wedding.

M019.3 contains material from Mary Wood received via Ann and Wayne Wood. This accession contains physical material from the Woodbridge Fall Fair (one cap, one candy dish, one entry ticket), one button with a mirror and a photograph material related to the funerals of Mary Wood, John Wood, and various others held at Scott Funeral Home in Woodbridge from 1969 to 1980. There is also 108 various Woodbridge photos (some identified, some not), 4 photo negatives, 1 stereosocopic negative, 14 negative strips, 3 postcards, business cards from Woodbridge in the mid-20th century, a baby book and pamphlet for Wayne Wood and funeral registers for (James Alvin Wood and Mary Wood, as well as the marriage certifcate and wedding book for John Wood and Mary (nee Brown) Wood. In addition, there are a couple scrapbooks of newspaper clippings, cards and documents, and a portrait of Mary Wood.

Results 1 to 10 of 26