Fonds MG 9 - Jesse Bryson fonds [Textual record and Graphic material]

Junior Farmers Short Course Boys Thistletown School, 1918 Junior Farmers Short Course Girls Thistletown School, 1918 Teston Murray Barn Raising, 1909 Jesse Bryson fonds, n.d. Jackson Avenue, Harold Wilson Home, was Jackson home, n.d. Keele Street, North East Side, 1976 Keele Street, South East Side, n.d. Keele Street, South of corner, Lawrie Store and Home, 1976 Kirby House, Jim McDonald, now remodeled Dr. Clinic, 1990 Noble House and Jim McDonald's to South, 1976
Results 1 to 10 of 19 Show all

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Jesse Bryson fonds [Textual record and Graphic material]

General material designation

  • Textual record
  • Graphic material
  • Cartographic material

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description


Reference code

CA CoV Archives MG 9

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area


  • 1841-1990, predominant 1905-1976 (Creation)

Physical description area

Physical description

  • 50 cm of textual records
  • 47 photoprints: b&w; 29 x 35 cm and smaller
  • 11 postcards: b&w; 9 x 14 cm
  • 8 maps; 30 x 43 cm or smaller

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Custodial history

Former local politician, historian and conservationist. Among the numerous political offices held by Mr. Bryson between 1957 and 1965 were Councillor and Deputy Reeve, Fire and Police Committee Chairman, Chairman of the Planning and Building Committee for Vaughan Township, Chairman of the York County Board of Health, and Executive Director for the International Plowing Match. Bryson was also a member of the Metro Toronto and Region Conservation Authority (MTRCA) from its inception in 1957, being instrumental in the success of Black Creek Pioneer Village, managed by the MTRCA. From 1989 to 1990 Bryson was heavily involved with the restoration of Laskay Hall in King Township, and served on its board of directors. He was also a member of the Vaughan Museum Committee, the Vaughan Township Historical Society, the Soil Conservation Society of America, and the Agricultural Institute of Canada. He served on the Board of Directors for the York County Federation of Agriculture and on the School Board of Trustees for the Purpleville School.

Scope and content

Fonds consists of Vaughan Township Council minutes, 1930; voters lists 1958, 1960, 1964, 1968, 1970; annual report of Council, 1947, 1964; report of Waterworks Committee, 1964; and sundry material. Numerous legal documents relating to the Bryson property, east half of lot 34, concession 7 are present; these include the original deed conveying the subject lands to James McMurchy in 1841, as well as the last will and testament of James and Archibald McMurchy, respectively. Also present is advertising material re: Vaughan Industrial Acres, and a report on historically and architecturally significant structures in Vaughan, 1975, and a biographical sketch of Major "Lex" Mackenzie. Images depict the class of 1916 of the Agricultural Short Course offered by the Ont. Ministry of Agriculture, the Maple Cattle Breeders Association, 1946, and architecture and streetscapes in Vaughan Township, 1920-1976; (predominantly 1975-1976). A number of the photographs appear to be formatted for the production of G. E. Reaman's 1971 monograph re: Vaughan Township. A small aggregate of early 20th century postcards relating to Vaughan and Woodbridge collected by Jesse Bryson round out the fonds. The records donated by the Brysons in 2000 are composed of Vaughan Council minutes from 1867-1972; correspondence; electoral boundary maps; Vaughan Township by-laws(1850-1983) and policies; reports from the Vaughan Planning Department; election brochures; voter lists; community pamphlets for events in which Jesse either participated or attended; papers from the Soil Conservation society of America, the Metropolitan Toronto and Region Conservation Authority, York County Federation of Agriculture, and Black Creek Pioneer Village; Vaughan Treasurer Accounts from 1893-1905; Vaughan Auditors Reports; planning reports from the C.N.R. Railyard; 2 1918 photographs from the Agricultural Short Course; pamphlets and papers from the International Plowing Match; reports from the Purpleville School Board of Trustees; posters and letters concerning the Vaughan Liquor Vote of 1963; records from the Vaughan Museum Committee; annual reports from the York Central Hospital; letters and reports from the Soil Conservation Society of America; tax assessments from 1921-1970; letters from the Agricultural Institute of Canada; programs from the opening of the Bloorview Children

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition


Language of material

  • English

Script of material

Location of originals

  • Bay 4, Sh. 1 (O/S)
  • Bay 4, Sh. 2 (M993.11)
  • Bay 5, Sh. 40 (M000.5)
  • Bay 6, Sh. 21 (M991.35-37)
  • Bay 6, Sh. 22 (M993.11; M997.15)
  • Map 44

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

No finding aid available

Associated materials

Related materials


Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions


Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

  • English

Script of description


Accession area