Laskay (Ont.)

Taxonomy

Code

Scope note(s)

Source note(s)

Display note(s)

Hierarchical terms

Laskay (Ont.)

Equivalent terms

Laskay (Ont.)

Associated terms

Laskay (Ont.)

2 Archival description results for Laskay (Ont.)

2 results directly related Exclude narrower terms

Maple Women's Institute fonds [Textual records and other material]

  • CA CoV Archives MG 21
  • Fonds
  • 1867-1995, predominant 1920-1995

Fonds consists of minute books delineating deliberations, decisions, and activities, for the period 1920-1991; members and officers also cited, intermittently. Fonds also constituted of the Maple Tweedsmuir history, in 2 volumes, compiled between ca. 1948 and 1995 (while the institute disbanded in 1991, work on the compilation of the final volume of the Tweedsmuir history continued until 1995) the history, which includes numerous 19th and early twentieth century photographs and postcards, comments on: architecture and buildings such as the Maple Community Library, Canadian Bank of Commerce, Maple Community Centre; general history of Maple; personalities such as Dr. Routley and Isaac Baker; events such as the Superior Propane Explosion of 1962; institutions and agencies such as Woodbridge and Vaughan Telephone Co., Maple Flying Club; etc. A historical sketch of the hamlet of Sherwood, just south of Maple, is also included. Tweedsmuir history provides excellent photographic evidence of Maple and its inhabitants, and includes postcards, some examples of which are hand-coloured. The history chronicles Maple and its evolution to 1995, with the second volume focusing heavily on streetscapes and heritage preservation in the mid-1980's to 1990's. Fonds also includes two large volumes of newspaper clippings chronicling various events in Maple from 1960 to the early 1980's and the history of the Maple Women's Institute; volume focusing upon Maple includes extensive coverage of Maple Lions Club and Superior Propane Explosion of 1962, development and local opposition thereto, municipal government, as well as images and text from newspapers re: 19th-century Maple. Second volume centres primarily upon the history of the Maple W.I. Fonds also includes loose postcards and photographs documenting architecture, streetscapes, and personalities; as well, odd documents such as maps, printed histories of the Hope United Church and Teston United Church, 1891 by-laws for the Maple United Church, etc. Of final note is the presence of a Primitive Methodist "preachers' plan" for the Laskay Circuit for 1867-1879, indicating preachers, stewards and places on the circuit (includes villages of Carrville and Patterson in Vaughan Township).

Norberta O'Rourke fonds [Textual record and other material]

  • CA CoV Archives MG 45
  • Fonds
  • 1828-2002, predominant 1900-1980

Fonds consists of family histories and genealogical material, histories of schools and churches in Pine Grove and Woodbridge as well as the communities themselves, photographs, photo albums, scrapbooks, architectural drawings of the St. Margaret Mary School, diplomas, report cards, invitations, certificates, awards, programs, maps, correspondence, newspaper ad layouts, newspaper clippings, and commemorative coins from the 1991 inauguration of the City of Vaughan. Also includes County of York uniform promotion examination certificate documenting promotion of Mary O'Rourke of the Pine Grove School and an indenture between Alfred and Harriet Gooderham, grantors, and Michael O'Rourke, grantee. Also contains "1833 it was -- a trading post and granary 1989 it is -- a house of the 20th century", an unpublished essay by Norberta O'Rourke which details the history of the Elliot Trading Post and surrounding area, originally constructed on Lot 11, Concession 8, Vaughan Township in 1833.