Archief MG 21 - Maple Women's Institute fonds [Textual records and other material]

Milking Time on a Sunday evening at the Beamish farm, Lot 9, Concession 9, Summer 1916 Maple Post Office, Rupert Post Office and Bailey General Store, built ca. 1852, photo ca. 1910 Maple Residential Structure adjacent to general store, ca. 1890 Maple, Rose Hardware and Frank Robson Garage, n.d. Maple Buildings, 1988 Maple Buildings, 1988 Maple Buildings, 1988 Blake Yake Home, 1988 Blake Yake Home, 1989 Blake Yake Home, 1989
Resultaten 1 tot 10 van 105 Show all

Title and statement of responsibility area

Titel

Maple Women's Institute fonds [Textual records and other material]

Algemene aanduiding van het materiaal

  • Tekst document

Parallelle titel

Overige titelinformatie

Title statements of responsibility

Titel aantekeningen

Beschrijvingsniveau

Archief

archiefbewaarplaats

referentie code

CA CoV Archives MG 21

Editie

Editie

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Datering archiefvorming

Datum(s)

  • 1867-1995, predominant 1920-1995 (Vervaardig)

Fysieke beschrijving

Fysieke beschrijving

0.45 m of textual records and other material

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archivistische beschrijving

Geschiedenis beheer

Established in 1898, the Maple Women's Institute is one of a plethora of local branches of the Ontario Women's Institute; local philanthropic and charitable organization; social club; responsible for compilation of Tweedsmuir history of Maple. The Institute, as a formal agency, disbanded in 1991.

Bereik en inhoud

Fonds consists of minute books delineating deliberations, decisions, and activities, for the period 1920-1991; members and officers also cited, intermittently. Fonds also constituted of the Maple Tweedsmuir history, in 2 volumes, compiled between ca. 1948 and 1995 (while the institute disbanded in 1991, work on the compilation of the final volume of the Tweedsmuir history continued until 1995) the history, which includes numerous 19th and early twentieth century photographs and postcards, comments on: architecture and buildings such as the Maple Community Library, Canadian Bank of Commerce, Maple Community Centre; general history of Maple; personalities such as Dr. Routley and Isaac Baker; events such as the Superior Propane Explosion of 1962; institutions and agencies such as Woodbridge and Vaughan Telephone Co., Maple Flying Club; etc. A historical sketch of the hamlet of Sherwood, just south of Maple, is also included. Tweedsmuir history provides excellent photographic evidence of Maple and its inhabitants, and includes postcards, some examples of which are hand-coloured. The history chronicles Maple and its evolution to 1995, with the second volume focusing heavily on streetscapes and heritage preservation in the mid-1980's to 1990's. Fonds also includes two large volumes of newspaper clippings chronicling various events in Maple from 1960 to the early 1980's and the history of the Maple Women's Institute; volume focusing upon Maple includes extensive coverage of Maple Lions Club and Superior Propane Explosion of 1962, development and local opposition thereto, municipal government, as well as images and text from newspapers re: 19th-century Maple. Second volume centres primarily upon the history of the Maple W.I. Fonds also includes loose postcards and photographs documenting architecture, streetscapes, and personalities; as well, odd documents such as maps, printed histories of the Hope United Church and Teston United Church, 1891 by-laws for the Maple United Church, etc. Of final note is the presence of a Primitive Methodist "preachers' plan" for the Laskay Circuit for 1867-1879, indicating preachers, stewards and places on the circuit (includes villages of Carrville and Patterson in Vaughan Township).

Aantekeningen

Materiële staat

Directe bron van verwerving

Ordening

Taal van het materiaal

  • Engels

Schrift van het materiaal

Plaats van originelen

  • Bay 4, Sh. 2 (M996.30)
  • Bay 4, Sh. 3 (photonegatives)
  • Bay 4, Sh. 13 (M989.75, M999.11)
  • Bay 4 Sh. 14 (scrapbooks)
  • Map 16

Beschikbaarheid in andere opslagformaten

Restrictions on access

Termen voor gebruik, reproductie en publicatie.

Toegangen

No finding aid available

Associated materials

Related materials

Aanvullingen

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standaard nummer

Trefwoorden

Naam ontsluitingsterm

Genre access points

Beheer

Identificatie van het beschrijvingsrecord

Identificatiecode van de instelling

Regels of conventies

Status

Niveau van detaillering

Datering van aanmaak, herziening of verwijdering

Taal van de beschrijving

  • Engels

Schrift van de beschrijving

Bronnen

Voorwaarden voor raadpleging en gebruik