Collection MG 7 - Patterson collection [Textual record and other material]

Patterson Catalogue, ca. 1881-1883 Cameron McTaggerts House, Don Head Farms, Formerly John Charles House, ca. early 1940s Haying Don Head Farms, Drive Shed Behind John Charles House, prior to 1940 Patterson Residence with P. Patterson and daughter Lizzie in foreground and Mrs. Patterson and Al... Mrs. Peter Patterson, ca. 1866

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Patterson collection [Textual record and other material]

General material designation

  • Textual record
  • Graphic material
  • Cartographic material

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description


Reference code

CA CoV Archives MG 7

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area


  • 1850-1995, predominant 1855-1920 (Creation)

Physical description area

Physical description

  • 90 cm of textual records
  • 76 photographs: b&w and col; 10 x 15 cm and 15 x 8 cm
  • 2 site plans; 28 x 32 cm or smaller
  • 1 photo book: 30 p.

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Custodial history

The Pattersons were an enterprising family with a variety of successful businesses across North America. T.W. Patterson was a wealthy banker in Fresno. In Westfield, N.Y., George W. Patterson was an influential politician. John Duncun Patterson was a leading sheep breeder who brought stock to California shortly after the Gold Rush and started the Rancho Del Puerto. In Vaughan Township, Peter and Alfred Patterson established Patterson and Bro Manufacturers approximately two km east of Maple in 1851 as an enterprise specializing in the manufacture of farm equipment. The firm relocated to Woodstock in 1891 due to its inability to secure a rail line spur line for the plant. Shortly after moving to Woodstock, the farm was bought by Massey-Harris. In the 1920s, Peter

Scope and content

Collection consists of textual records, photographs, site plans and a photobook. Copies of Vaughan Township by-laws and petitions, correspondence of Peter Patterson (the founder of Patterson, Ont. and one of the proprietors and manager of the Patterson Works) and Redelmeier family, report concerning period structures remaining on present site, and newspaper clippings, published and unpublished essays relating to various aspects of Patterson's history, including one pertaining to the Patterson School, S.S. #19. Collection also includes plans of the hamlet, 1928 and 1936, as well as records re: history, activities, personalities, etc. of Don Head Farms. The collection includes five photographs depicting life on property, by then known as Don Head Farms, when it was an agricultural enterprize during latter part of Patterson ownership, and into the administration of W. Redelmeier and his sons (see below for further information); also noteworthy are 23 photographs copied from the Patterson Family Album depicting family members from the United States and Canada; as well as a photograph of Mrs. Peter Patterson, executed in 1866, and a photograph of the Patterson residence, ca. 1870. Additionally, photographic documentation of Patterson family related matters in Westfield, New York focusing on the Asa Farnsworth House, Holland Land Company, and "Old Cemetary" (where a number of family tombstones are depicted), as well as the town of Patterson, California are present. Collection is also notable for the presence of a number of record copies pertaining to the noted town of Patterson, California, a present-day municipality of some 7000 people incorporated in 1919, and adjacent ranch founded by T.W. Patterson, the nephew of Peter Patterson, during the mid-nineteenth century: Cartographic material, municipal by-laws, newspaper articles, correspondence, and legal documents and other documentation generated by the Patterson ranch. M008.4 accession is constituted of photocopies of Patterson and Bro Manufacturers

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition


Language of material

  • English

Script of material

Location of originals

  • Bay 4, Sh. 1 (O/S)
  • Bay 4, Sh. 2 (M990.41, M995.23, M996.9, M996.22)
  • Bay 6, Sh. 19
  • Bay 6, Sh. 21 (M990.41)
  • Bay 18, Sh. 10 (M010.4)
  • Map 27 (M990.41)

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

No finding aid available

Associated materials

Related materials


Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions


Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

  • English

Script of description


Accession area