Sherwood (Ont.)

Taxonomy

Code

Scope note(s)

Source note(s)

Display note(s)

Hierarchical terms

Sherwood (Ont.)

Equivalent terms

Sherwood (Ont.)

Associated terms

Sherwood (Ont.)

11 Archival description results for Sherwood (Ont.)

11 results directly related Exclude narrower terms

Carrville post office and Sherwood log schoolhouse photographs [grahic material]

  • CA CoV Archives M013.29
  • File
  • 1963

File consists of 1963 photographs of Stan Sellen and his family and a neighbor, Bert Whitty, at Carrville Post Office (at that time their family home) which was built by Thomas Cook in 1844 and became the post office in 1965. The Del Broccos (first Italian family in Vaughan) lived in the house in the 1920s. Building bought by Reamington Developments and restored. Restoration ceremony organized by Stan

Dora and George Snider collection [Textual record]

  • CA CoV Archives M013.41
  • Collection
  • 1912-1998

Collection consists of various historical write-ups on villages (Edgeley, Sherwood, Langstaff, Maple, Coleraine, Purpleville, Elder's Mills, Woodbridge, Vellore, Carrville, Concord, Hope, Kleinburg, Patterson, Pine Grove, Teston), genealogical histories (Stong, Jackson), and issues of The York Pioneer and Canadian-German Folklore.

Bruce Snider fonds

  • CA CoV Archives M997.3
  • Fonds
  • [ca. 1867-1945]

Fonds consists of photographs, legal documents (mortgages, indentures, etc.), commonplace book (i.e. a volume in which is entered information of any kind to be remember by the compiler), correspondence, financial documents, WW II ration book, greeting cards, newspaper clippings and livestock gestation table.

Vellore Women's Institute fonds [Textual record and other material]

  • CA CoV Archives MG 1
  • Fonds
  • 1835-1994, predominant 1960-1990

Fonds consists of minute books, 1915-1982, delineating deliberations, decisions, and activities of the Vellore Women's Institute, as well as occasionally citing the names of members and officers; and Vellore Tweedsmuir history (present in original and microform). Main topical subjects addressed in the latter include: Vellore Women's Institute and its contribution to welfare and development of the community; general community history including geography and topography of the locale; municipal government; agriculture; architecture; education; trade and commerce; histories of individual farms and families; religion; experiences of the community in Canada's wars including namers of volunteers in both conflicts; the Vellore Literary Society; the Vellore Band; transcribed reminicences of such individuals as Mrs. Ann Davidson, and Elizabeth Ann Snider; (extensive coverage of Rutherford Barn Raising, 1929; as well as history of hamlet of Teston; and Purpleville School (S.S #11).
The 2002 accrual consists of the papers from the Woodbridge Agricultural Fair and the Canadian Association of Exhibitions; minute books of the Vellore Women

Maple Women's Institute fonds [Textual records and other material]

  • CA CoV Archives MG 21
  • Fonds
  • 1867-1995, predominant 1920-1995

Fonds consists of minute books delineating deliberations, decisions, and activities, for the period 1920-1991; members and officers also cited, intermittently. Fonds also constituted of the Maple Tweedsmuir history, in 2 volumes, compiled between ca. 1948 and 1995 (while the institute disbanded in 1991, work on the compilation of the final volume of the Tweedsmuir history continued until 1995) the history, which includes numerous 19th and early twentieth century photographs and postcards, comments on: architecture and buildings such as the Maple Community Library, Canadian Bank of Commerce, Maple Community Centre; general history of Maple; personalities such as Dr. Routley and Isaac Baker; events such as the Superior Propane Explosion of 1962; institutions and agencies such as Woodbridge and Vaughan Telephone Co., Maple Flying Club; etc. A historical sketch of the hamlet of Sherwood, just south of Maple, is also included. Tweedsmuir history provides excellent photographic evidence of Maple and its inhabitants, and includes postcards, some examples of which are hand-coloured. The history chronicles Maple and its evolution to 1995, with the second volume focusing heavily on streetscapes and heritage preservation in the mid-1980's to 1990's. Fonds also includes two large volumes of newspaper clippings chronicling various events in Maple from 1960 to the early 1980's and the history of the Maple Women's Institute; volume focusing upon Maple includes extensive coverage of Maple Lions Club and Superior Propane Explosion of 1962, development and local opposition thereto, municipal government, as well as images and text from newspapers re: 19th-century Maple. Second volume centres primarily upon the history of the Maple W.I. Fonds also includes loose postcards and photographs documenting architecture, streetscapes, and personalities; as well, odd documents such as maps, printed histories of the Hope United Church and Teston United Church, 1891 by-laws for the Maple United Church, etc. Of final note is the presence of a Primitive Methodist "preachers' plan" for the Laskay Circuit for 1867-1879, indicating preachers, stewards and places on the circuit (includes villages of Carrville and Patterson in Vaughan Township).

Jean A. Bryson fonds [Textual record and other material]

  • CA CoV Archives MG 25
  • Fonds
  • 1901-2007, predominant 1950-1970

Fonds consists of Jean Keffer artwork from 1935; correspondence regarding the annual Campbell, Keffer, Cameron, and Snider family reunions; Jean

Norberta O'Rourke fonds [Textual record and other material]

  • CA CoV Archives MG 45
  • Fonds
  • 1828-2002, predominant 1900-1980

Fonds consists of family histories and genealogical material, histories of schools and churches in Pine Grove and Woodbridge as well as the communities themselves, photographs, photo albums, scrapbooks, architectural drawings of the St. Margaret Mary School, diplomas, report cards, invitations, certificates, awards, programs, maps, correspondence, newspaper ad layouts, newspaper clippings, and commemorative coins from the 1991 inauguration of the City of Vaughan. Also includes County of York uniform promotion examination certificate documenting promotion of Mary O'Rourke of the Pine Grove School and an indenture between Alfred and Harriet Gooderham, grantors, and Michael O'Rourke, grantee. Also contains "1833 it was -- a trading post and granary 1989 it is -- a house of the 20th century", an unpublished essay by Norberta O'Rourke which details the history of the Elliot Trading Post and surrounding area, originally constructed on Lot 11, Concession 8, Vaughan Township in 1833.

Some of Vaughan's Pictorial Past / by Hugh Cook

  • CA CoV Archives MG 47
  • File
  • 2011

File consists of three copies of a pictorial book with text depicting a wide range of structures throughout Vaughan including schools, churches, stores, farms, houses, and mills.

City of Vaughan Engineering Services Department Fonds

  • CA CoV Archives RG 17
  • Fonds
  • 1995-2003

Fonds consists of aerial photographs that cover the entire City of Vaughan and include images of streets and highways, rivers, railway lines and stations, hospitals, community centres, subdivisions, conservation areas, public attractions, reservoirs, factories and plants, lumber yards, airfields, fairgrounds, and shopping centres. Also included are "indexes" for each year which make finding a particular photograph or area of Vaughan quite easy. Also included is a Leroy Lettering Set which was used for mechanical lettering on maps and drawings in the Engineering Services Dept until 1995/96 at which time computers took a more prevalent role in the department's business functions. Also included are a polar planimeter which was used to determine metric area, and a case containing fifty-five railroad curves which were used in the design and layout of roads.

Results 1 to 10 of 11