Fonds MG 11 - Southbrook Farms (formerly Patch Farms Fonds/Don Head Farms) fonds

Don Head Sheep, n.d. Don Head Cow and Six Men, n.d. Don Head Sheep, n.d. Grand Champion Ram of Show, Ernest Redelmeier Presenting Trophy, 1978 Patterson and Bros, n.d. Southdown Sheep, ca. late 1920s Southdown Sheep, n.d. Southdown Ewe Lambs, Sussex County Show, 1928 Southdown Ram, ca. early 1930s

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Southbrook Farms (formerly Patch Farms Fonds/Don Head Farms) fonds

General material designation

  • Textual record

Parallel title

Other title information

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Fonds

Reference code

CA CoV Archives MG 11

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 1930-1991 (Creation)

Physical description area

Physical description

45 cm of textual records and other material

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Custodial history

The Don Head Farm was established by John D. Patterson in 1930 when the former established a new Aberdeen-Angus cattle herd that would ultimately play a prominent part in the development of the Aberdeen Angus herd in North America. The operation also included a flock of Southdown Sheep. J.D. Patterson was the son of Peter Patterson who, with his brother, established Patterson and Bro., a farm machine manufacturing firm, on the site of the Don Head Farms in 1851. In 1940, the farm was purchased by Willy Redelmeier, a Dutch banker. In 1991, the farm was owned and operated by two of his sons, Ernest and Francis. Francis and Ruth Redelmeier’s farm became known as Patch Farms and was later sold, while today, part of Ernest’s original farm is owned and operated by his son, Bill, known as Southbrook Farms Vineyards.

Scope and content

Fonds consists of payroll books, herd register, sheep and cattle pedigrees, lists of sale, herd dispersion material, farm guest book, periodical material, newspaper clippings, 59 photoprints (includes 10 photoprints depicting farm in the aftermath of Hurricane Hazel, 1954) 3 postcards, and 6 wood-mounted printer's plates (1 of Southdown ewe, others of Angus and Jersey cattle herds); also includes videocassette copy of original 8 mm footage of commercial and other activity on the farm during the period 1939-1952.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

  • English

Script of material

Location of originals

  • Bay 4, Sh. 3 (photonegatives)
  • Bay 5, Sh. 30
  • Bay 18, Sh. 10 (O/S)

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Finding aids

File list available in the repository

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Language of description

  • English

Script of description

Sources

Accession area

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres